Welcome, dear readers, to “Life’s Golden Years; My reflections on Retirement Community Living.” I a

Wednesday, June 14, 2017

Birthdays are good for your health...Studies show that if you have them you live longer!


This is both BFF hubbies and my birthday month. I have decided I no longer have birthdays, I level up. (Grin) That’s a gaming term used for those of you who are also nerds. And I stand by the saying - I am not getting older I am getting better!
So there I went, and I wondered where all this birthday hoopla started? Don’t you wonder why we even bother to celebrate birthdays? When you think about it, they’re really just an opportunity for your friends and family to come together and congratulate you for surviving another year, which as we age is a good thing I suppose. (Grin)  But for some reason I think it’s become far more than just that. Yep, you guessed it, as always things like this ramble around in my brain and as you know, end up by becoming a Blog topic. So off I went on my research journey to see what I could discover on the topic of birthdays.  
I found it surprising to learn that the idea of celebrating the date of your birth is actually a pagan tradition. In fact, many Christians didn't celebrate birthdays historically, because of that link to paganism. Pagans thought that evil spirits lurked on days of major changes, like the day you turn a year older. Isn’t that an interesting note?
The experts tell us that research on the exact origin of birthdays and birthday cakes remains inconclusive, however there is enough of a consensus to piece together an approximate history. Perhaps someday a Birthdayologist (Is there such a word?) (Grin) will come along to set the record completely straight, hey it could happen.
The experts say there are seven major developments throughout history that have contributed to our tradition of doing this once a year.

1.    Egyptians started the party - When pharaohs were crowned in ancient Egypt they were considered to have transformed into gods. This divine promotion made their coronation date much more important than their birth into the world. Scholars have pointed to the Bible’s reference of a Pharaoh’s birthday as the earliest known mention of a birthday celebration (around 3,000 B.C.E.), but Egyptologist Dr. James Hoffmeier believes this is referencing the subject’s coronation date, since that would have been the Pharaoh’s “birth” as a god.

2.    The Greeks added candles to the cake - The Greeks offered moon-shaped cakes to Artemis as a form of tribute to the lunar goddess. To recreate the radiance of the moon and her perceived beauty, Greeks lit candles and put them on cakes for a glowing effect.

3.     The Ancient Romans were the first to celebrate birthdays for the common man (but just the men) - The prevailing opinion seems to be that the Romans were the first civilization to celebrate birthdays for non-religious figures. Romans would celebrate birthdays for friends and families, while the government created public holidays to observe the birthdays of more famous citizens. However female birthdays still weren’t celebrated until around the 12th century.

4.    Christians initially considered birthdays to be a pagan ritual - Due to its belief that humans are born with “original sin” and the fact that early birthdays were tied to “pagan” gods, the Christian Church considered birthday celebrations evil for the first few hundred years of its existence. Around the 4th century, Christians changed their minds and began to celebrate the birthday of Jesus as the holiday of Christmas. This new celebration was accepted into the church partly in hopes of recruiting those already celebrating the Roman holiday of Saturnalia.

5.    Contemporary birthday cakes were invented by German bakers - Although the general idea of celebrating birthdays had already started taking off around the world — like in China, where a child’s first birthday was specifically honored — Kinderfeste, which came out of late 18th century Germany, is the closest prerequisite to the contemporary birthday party. This celebration was held for German children, or “kinder,” and involved both birthday cake and candles. Kids got one candle for each year they’d been alive, plus another to symbolize the hope of living for at least one more year. Blowing out the candles and making a wish was also a part of these celebrations.

6.    The Industrial Revolution brought delicious cakes to the masses - For quite some time, birthday celebrations involving sugary cakes were only available to the very wealthy, as the necessary ingredients were considered a luxury. But the industrial revolution allowed celebrations like kinderfest and the subsequent equivalents in other cultures to proliferate. Not only did the required ingredients become more abundant, but bakeries also started offering pre-made cakes at lower prices due to advances in mass production by bakeries of the late 19th century.

7.    The Birthday Song” was a remix, kind of - In 1893, Patty Hill and Mildred J. Hill wrote a song they called “Good Morning to All,” which was intended to be sung by students before classes began. The song eventually caught on across America, giving rise to a number of variations. Robert Coleman eventually published a songbook in 1924, adding a few extra lyrics that would quickly come to overshadow the original lines. The new rendition became the version we now all know, “Happy Birthday to You.”
Well I am relieved to have this all explained to me by the experts, don’t you feel more enlightened? (Grin)
I think we can all agree that Birthdays seem to be the one day a year that every little kid looks forward to (besides Christmas of course), when family and friends come together to celebrate who they are and the accomplishments they’ve made over the year. Yay!  You get presents, cake, a party, and plenty of time with loved ones. Whatever it is that they enjoy most on their special day, birthdays are a staple of our society and it is always an enjoyable time for any kid. I have so many memories of fun birthdays as a child, but as a child I didn’t realize I was actually making memories, I just knew I was having fun on a day that was all about me. (Grin)
As an adult, and as I grow older, I find myself more and more reluctant to celebrate my birthday, I find myself wishing everyone would ignore them. (Grin)  I mean after all, who wants a yearly reminder, marked with a lavish and expensive celebration, of how old they are getting? (Ok, maybe some people still do.)
Nonetheless, this made me wonder why it is that birthdays feel less and less important to me as I get older. It seems as if my attitude towards birthdays tends to shift in the wrong direction as the date of my birth looms nearer. I find this is especially true this year as, I am not found of the number I will be turning.  Don’t get me wrong, I am thankful every day I wake up and find that I’m still here. (Grin)
So after all this obsessing on having a birthday this month and getting another year older, here is this Bloggers take away on the subject: I tend to feel that as I get older, the idea of death becomes more imminent – it is something that I think most people tend to think about once they get into their late sixties, at least for me. (Grin) Now, I know anything can happen in life and there are no guarantees, however the older I get, the more I tend to think about all this. As my age gets BIGGER, the number of years I have left gets smaller.
I find that I am very appreciative of the importance of people over presents.  It seems as though the value of presents declines and the joy I get out of them isn’t the same as when I was younger. One thing I can say for sure is the older I get, the less I care about presents. In my case, the fact that I can have friends and family around for my birthday means much, much more than material things and in my opinion is the best gift I could ever receive.  When it comes right down to it - it is this blogger’s opinion that no matter how old you are, birthdays should always be about fun.  It’s just the value of birthdays which tends to change for me the older I get. So no matter how you choose to celebrate your day - just make it a great day!  Kick off your shoes and enjoy my friends, I know I will! And happy birthday to you!
One final reminder from me to you is the more you praise and celebrate your life, the more in life there is to celebrate.  After all age is just a state of mind, and you are only as old as you think you are. So just count your blessings and be happy. And as Abraham Lincoln said, “And in the end, it’s not the years in your life that count. It’s the life in your years.”
I thank you again for taking this retirement journey with me, or as I refer to it, “my longest coffee break."  I'm just sayin’….

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment